Old Vic Theatre Makers
Old Vic Theatre Makers is a free six-month programme for 18–25 year olds to develop creative connections and create a toolkit to discuss and make theatre in the midst of our changing society.
Old Vic Theatre Makers will work with 20 young theatre makers through a series of workshops and masterclasses. We will look at what we learnt from the absence of live theatre and the burgeoning development of digital work, across the pandemic. How can these practices that were developed through necessity continue to help us innovate, and push contemporary theatre practice further?
With the support of a professional director, participants will conceptualise and plan the future of theatre alongside other young creatives, working in collaboration with some of the UK’s leading professional theatre makers, culminating in a showcase in December 2021. Participants will also receive free tickets to two Old Vic performances, A Christmas Carol and A Number.
- KEY DATES
The six month project includes a weekend launch event, six workshops, a showcase and a follow up event.
- Sat 4 and Sun 5 Sep: 10am–4pm (Launch event)
- Sat 18 Sep: 1–5pm
- Sat 2 Oct: 1–5pm
- Sat 16 Oct: 1–5pm
- Sat 30 Oct: 1–5pm
- Sat 13 Nov: 1–5pm
- Sat 27 Nov: 1–5pm
- Sat 11 Dec and 12 Dec: 10am–4pm (celebration and showcase)
- Thu 27 Jan: 5–7pm (follow up event)
- How to apply
Applications are now closed.
- This programme is designed for people aged 18–25
- Applications will be accepted from across the UK but you must be able to travel to London to take part, we are able to support with travel if needed
- The course takes place in-person at an Old Vic venue
- We are committed to working with young people who have a disability or identify as neuro-diverse (for example: dyslexia, ADHD, autism) and will make adjustments accordingly
- We are looking for young theatre makers and creatives who want to develop new skills, gain confidence, build networks and explore what it means to create theatre.
- No experience is necessary and the programme is not open to anyone who has received (or is receiving) formal, degree level (or equivalent) arts training, or has taken part in the programme previously.
- We are particularly keen to hear from people who have had limited or no access to arts opportunities in the past and are committed to identifying and resolving barriers which may ordinarily exclude young people from accessing theatre.
- We are committed to working with young people who have a disability or identify as neuro-diverse (for example: dyslexia, ADHD, autism) and will make adjustments for this
- If you have a different learning style we can also change the course content to suit you
- We can bring in additional staff support if you would require this
- The project will take place at an Old Vic venue with step free access
If you would like to contact or have any questions, please call 020 7960 4102 or email email@example.com
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
‘Old Vic Theatre Makers has inspired me to create work that breaks stereotypes for both audiences watching and makers with ambitions but no one who has given them a space to dare or feel valued. Everyone deserves to be valued and represented in the industry – I hope to contribute to the change both with others and through my own work’ Old Vic Theatre Maker
You can sign up to the Take Part mailing list to hear more about workshops, skills and employment programmes, talent development and short courses for all ages.SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST Download Theatre Makers Evaluation 2020-21